At one time, this bibliography represented the body of my research for Petals of the Twenty Thousand Blossom. However, I realized many years ago that for the better part of my species and planet-building (alien physiology, land ecology, etc.) I neglected to add my scientific sources to this list. Since most of those were Internet science resources, and since I didn't bookmark them, there are gaps in my bibliography where these subjects are concerned.
Therefore, this is a best-effort bibliography of my pre-draft researches, reasonably accurate with the aforesaid caveats to 2007, when the primary world-building for this series was completed. I have excluded resources I reviewed and subsequently discarded along with resources specific to world-building and the writing craft in general.
Of course, none of the individuals whose work is represented here have endorsed my novels, and any factual errors present in the final series are surely mine.
- Batuski, David J. Personal Interview. Dec. 2003.
- Dr. Batuski is chair of the Physics department at the University of Maine.
- Bernard, Peter. Personal Interview, Sept. 2007.
- Pete Bernard is a Command and Control Specialist for the United States Air National Guard whose military insights were invaluable to me.
- Cowart, Wayne. Personal Interview. May 2003.
- Dr. Cowart is chair of the Linguistics department at the University of Southern Maine.
- Groo, Melissa. Personal Interview. June 2003.
- Ms. Groo is a research assistant in the Bioacoustics Research Program, Cornell Lab of Ornithology.
- MacCath-Moran, Sean P.O. Personal Interview. Ongoing.
- Sean P.O. MacCath-Moran is a Zend-certified PHP engineer and my husband. His insights into logic and software systems, as well as his general insights into the structure and content of this series continue to be invaluable.
- McDaniel, Dana. Personal Interview. May 2003.
- Dr. McDaniel is a research professor of linguistics at the University of Southern Maine.
- Wood, Devin and Lorien. Personal Interview. 2005.
- Devin and Lorien Wood are friends and colleagues whose insights into transgenderism and the transgendered community helped me to characterize Jakyri Drottning correctly and sympathetically.
- Zielinski, Greg. Personal Interview. Aug. 2004.
- Dr. Zielinski is the Maine State Climatologist and a research professor of climatology at the University of Maine Climate Change Institute.
- Aitchison, Jean. Teach Yourself Linguistics. New York: McGraw-Hill, 1999.
- Birch, S. L., and Susan M. Garnsey. "The Effect of Focus on Memory for Words in Sentences." Journal of Memory and Language, 34 (1995): 232-267.
- Cramer, John G. "New Improved Wormholes." Analog Science Fiction & Fact Magazine Nov. 2000.
- ---. "The Micro-Warp Drive." Analog Science Fiction & Fact Magazine Feb. 2000.
- ---. "The Alcubierre Warp Drive." Analog Science Fiction & Fact Magazine Nov. 1996.
- ---. "The Krasnikov Tube: A Subway to the Stars." Analog Science Fiction & Fact Magazine Sept. 1997.
- Davies, Paul and John Gribbin. The Matter Myth. New York: Simon & Schuster/Touchstone, 1992.
- Ebert, John David. Twilight of the Clockwork God. Tulsa: Council Oak Books, 1999.
- Enard W., et al. “Molecular Evolution of FOXP2, a Gene Involved in Speech and Language.” Nature 418 (2002): 869-872.
- Garnsey, Susan M., et al. "The Contributions of Verb Bias and Plausibility to the Comprehension of Temporarily Ambiguous Sentences." Journal of Memory and Language 37 (1997): 58-93.
- Garreau, Joel. Radical Evolution. New York: Doubleday, 2005.
- Gott, J. Richard. Time Travel in Einstein's Universe. Boston, New York: Houghton Mifflin, 2001.
- Greene, Brian. The Elegant Universe. New York: Vintage Books, 2000.
- ---. The Fabric of the Cosmos. New York: Alfred A. Knopf, 2004.
- Gribbin, John. Schrödinger's Kittens and the Search for Reality. Boston, New York, and London: Back Bay Books, 1995.
- Hawking, Stephen. A Brief History of Time. New York: Bantam Books, 1988.
- Hirano, Minoru. Histological Color Atlas of the Human Larynx. San Diego: Singular Publishing Group, 1993.
- Joy, Bill. "Why the Future Doesn't Need Us." Wired. April 2000.
- Katamba, Francis. Introduction to Phonology. Boston: Addison Wesley Company, 1989.
- Kirk, Sheila. Feminizing Hormonal Therapy for the Transgendered. Pittsburgh: Together Lifeworks, 1999.
- Kurzweil, Ray. The Age of Spiritual Machines. New York: Penguin Books, 1999.
- Mayr, Ernst. What Evolution Is. New York: Basic Books, 2001.
- McAndrew, Alec. “FOXP2 and the Evolution of Language.” Molecular Biology.
- Meyers, Walter E. Aliens and Linguists. Athens: University of Georgia Press, 1980.
- Palmer, C., and M. H. Kelly. "Linguistic Prosody and Musical Meter in Song." Journal of Memory and Language 31 (1992): 525-542.
- Payne, Katy. "Elephant Talk." National Geographic. August 1989.
- ---., et al. “Infrasonic Calls of the Asian Elephant (Elephas maximus).” Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 18 (1986): 297-301.
- ---. Silent Thunder: In the Presence of Elephants. New York: Penguin Books, 1998.
- Pearlmutter, Neal J., Garnsey, Susan M., and Kathryn Bock. "Agreement Processes in Sentence Comprehension." Journal of Memory and Language 41 (1999): 427-456.
- Pickover, Clifford. The Science of Aliens. New York: Basic Books, 1998.
- Pinker, Steven. How the Mind Works. New York: W. W. Norton & Company, Inc., 1997.
- ---. The Language Instinct. New York: HarperCollins, 1994.
- Poole, J. H., et al. “The Social Contexts of Some Very Low Frequency Calls of African Elephants.” Behavioral Ecology and Sociobiology 22 (1988): 385-392.
- Rondal, Jean A. “Exceptional Cases of Language Development in Mental Retardation: The Relative Autonomy of Language as a Cognitive System.” Constraints on Language Acquisition: Studies of Atypical Children. Hillsdale: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1994. 155-171.
- Russek, Linda G. S., and Gary E. R. Schwartz. The Living Energy Universe. Charlottesville: Hampton Roads Company, 1999.
- Suzuki, D.T. The Zen Doctrine of No-Mind. York Beach: Samuel Weiser, 1972.
- Tager-Flusberg, Helen. “Dissociations in Form and Function in the Acquisition of Language by Autistic Children.” Constraints on Language Acquisition: Studies of Atypical Children. Hillsdale: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, 1994. 175-191.
- Tan, Li Hai and Charles A. Perfetti. "Visual Chinese Character Recognition: Does Phonological Information Mediate Access to Meaning?" Journal of Memory and Language 37 (1997): 41-57.
- Taylor, Michael. Community, Anarchy, and Liberty. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1982.
- Tegmark, Max. "Parallel Universes." Scientific American. May 2003: 40.
- Upgren, Arthur. Many Skies. New Brunswick, New Jersey, and London: Rutgers University Press, 2005.
- Vinge, Vernor. "On the Singularity."
- Visser, Matt. "The quantum physics of chronology protection." The future of theoretical physics and cosmology; Proceedings of the conference held in honour of Stephen Hawking on the occasion of his 60th birthday, April 2002.
- Wade, Nicholas. "Early Voices: The Leap to Language." New York Times 15 July 2003.
- Webster, D. B., and W. Plassmann. “Parallel Evolution of Low-Frequency Sensitivity in Old World and New World Rodents.” The Evolutionary Biology of Hearing (1992): 633-636.
- Wilchins, Riki Anne. Read My Lips: Sexual Subversion and the End of Gender. Milford: Firebrand Press, 1997.
- Planet Storm. Television. Discovery Channel, 2001.
- The Blue Planet. Dir. David Attenborough. DVD. BBC Video, 2003.
- The Elegant Universe. Dir. Joseph McMaster. Perf. Brian Greene. DVD. Nova, 2004.
- American Association of Artificial Intelligence
- American Veterans for Equal Rights
- Autism Society
- Autism Speaks
- Benfield Hazard Research Centre
- Center for the Study of Sexual Minorities in the Military
- Climate Change 2001: Impacts, Adaptation and Vulnerability
- Climate Change 2001: Mitigation
- Climate Change 2001: Synthesis Report
- Climate Change 2001: The Scientific Basis
- Climate change and the Canadian Coast
- Composting Human Bodies?
- Department of Geosciences Environmental Studies Laboratory
- Don't Ask, Don't Tell, Don't Pursue
- Global Warming: Early Warning Signs
- Global Warming Images
- Global Warming maps
- Infrasonics Program
- Interactive Autism Project
- Military Education Inititative, The
- National Assessment of Coastal Vulnerability to Sea-Level Rise
- Nova. The Elegant Universe
- Official String Theory Web Site, The
- Periodic Table of the Elements: The Role of Elements in Life Processes
- Virtual Museum of Bacteria
- Williams Syndrome Association, The
- Williams Syndrome Foundation, The